HURRICANE PROTECTION SUGGESTIONS
FROM MOAS MEMBERS
(Contact John O'Brien or Webmaster with suggested additions / changes)
1. Dwelling protection
* Window protection options
*Cut plywood (spring steel clamps can lock in place) - inexpensive, but heavy, & will not meet Miami-Dade Code
*Installed Hurricane glass windows/accordion shutters/window films/aluminum, steel, or clear Lexan panels. (Some Homeowner’s Assoc. allow them up all hurricane season).
* Heavy Garage Door built to Hurricane Code or modify older doors to reinforce them (important, so winds don’t get in & lift roof)
* Heavy front (and other) doors – additional and/or long deadbolts; glass sections reinforced
* Patio sliders – Hurricane Panels or hurricane mesh roll-ups.
* Roofs – Attic tie-downs needed; checked by pro. hurricane inspection (contact USAA)
2. Emergency supplies
· Water, food, medical prescriptions, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, extra cash
· Children & pet supplies
3. Emergency equipment (assuming power is lost)
· Emergency generators? ...adequate gas (with stabilizer additive). Safe location to operate to avoid dangerous exhaust gas. Anti-theft and grounding cables. Tested periodically. Correctly sized extension cables or able to tie to home wiring.
· Battery or crank-operated emergency radio; Emergency frequencies ………………
· Emergency lights (LEDs ?); good supply of batteries
· Portable TV with good antenna; channels available with antenna?
· Portable air conditioner? (ducting installation needed?)
· Cell phones charged; emergency phone numbers. Chargers for car.
* Car jumper cables
4. Emergency Planning
· Flood Insurance – flood plain location…. See "Flood Ins", left.
All insurance up-to-date
· Inventory household belongings (perhaps w/digital camera)
· Important papers and contact info readily available to take
· Nearest hurricane shelters …..pet info ……
· Keep car ready & at least half filled with gas; info on evacuation routes
· Request insurance company (e.g. USAA) inspection (improvements can lower rates)
· Insure adequate prescription medications and list of prescriptions
· Trim palms and other trees; check for missile hazards
5. Web sites and other hurricane information …
· Federal Emergency Management (FEMA)/Hurricane prep
* Sarasota County Emergency Services
* Sarasota Disaster Planning Guide
· "Sarasota Herald 2013 Hurricane Guide"
· Nat. Wx Service – Hurricane Center
· Miami-Dade County Hurricane Guide
· USAA – “Be Ready to Go When Disaster Strikes” and "How to get Your Home Hurricane-Ready"